Mom is 81, had stage 2 ovarian cancer removed. Does not want to go for chemo. How will the process go ?

Yes. My mom is 81, just had stage 2 ovarian cancer removed (10.0 cm maximum dimension). Papillary serous carcinoma. (NO.... 125 number available). Being 81, she does not want to have chemotherapy or radiation. I get it, it's about quality of life and I'm good with that. My questions are: How will the process go? Organ failures first?? which ones?, what kind of order? and what kind of time frame are we talking? about since she is not having any treatment at all? I'm trying to be sensitive about her health... but wish I could get some idea of what we will be going thru.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Your mother has papillary serous carcinoma- infilterating type. Lymph nodes have not been removed during the surgery. Chances of metastasis are high.
Five year survival after diagnosis is rare in such cases.
If she does not go for any further treatment, the prognosis depends on how fast the tumor cells spread. The symptoms and organ failure is according to the area to which the tumor cells spread. Normally kidney, liver and bones are the first ones to be affected.
If the bone metastasis occurs, it may cause collapse of vertebrae or paralysis.
The quality of life will be better with chemotharpy and radiotherapy.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.