Mole on right upper arm. Darker flesh tone than the rest of skin. Should I be worried?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi there i have an odd looking mole on my right upper arm, it is furry and is growing in size. It is a darker flesh tone than the rest of my skin, should i be concerned?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Skin Cancer

Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benign, but biopsy needed if grows fast

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

I saw the picture attached. Though it seems to be of a benign nature to me, in case it grows fast with darker skin tone, if I were your family physician, I would have referred you to a dermatologist first, and after excluding any skin condition, i would have subjected you for an excisional biopsy with a normal skin margin to confirm my diagnosis.

Till then, I would suggest you not to scratch it or fiddle with it and keep it under close observation.

Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for your health query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck.