Mole on back of head, painful, sore, tingling. What can I do?

Question
i have a mole on the back of my head and it really hurts and is sore i have had thie mole for as long as i can remember. it is causing the back of my neck to hurt the skin round the mole tingles and the mole is sore to touch
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

I can understand your concern but from the description of the mole, possibility of a melanoma has to be ruled out. Melanomas are usually >6 mm in size, with irregular borders , asymmetrical, dark and uneven color and increasing in size.

Keep an eye on the mole for a few days because whenever you notice changes in the mole's color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Then it needs to be biopsied. Otherwise there is no reason to worry.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Mole on back of head, painful, sore, tingling. What can I do? 44 minutes later
hi its seems bigger in size and its jelly to touch had some one look at it and its very red in colour angry looking giving me headake and some times feel faint

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me with the additional information.

Given your symptoms, you should get a clinical examination of this mole done by a dermatologist. Examination by dermatoscope and a biopsy skin can confirm the diagnosis and rule out any melanoma.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.