Mole behind ear, slight ring around it. Is there a risk of it being melanoma? Atypical or nevus?

I have a mole behind my ear - a link to a photo is below.

I got it checked earlier this year and was told at the time it was nothing to worry about.

It does not seem to have changed in any way but I am just wanting to make sure this is not a concerning mole.

It has a slight ring around it - a few of my moles on my scalp have this and I was told it was common and because the centre, which is pale, is raised.

Looking at this mole, is there a risk of it being melanoma? Is it atypical? Just a nevus?

Thank you so much.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 36 minutes later
Thanks for the query and a good quality picture.

On inspection, this mole looks innocuous. There is no colour variegation and no irregularity to the mole.

And as you have already described, there have not been any alarm symptoms like a sudden increase in size or bleeding.

A ring around it is normal.

So at present there is nothing to worry about. Just get it checked by a qualified dermatologist once in 6 months or so.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.