Ask a Dentist   »  

Molar sensitivie to cold after crown and painful. Should I consult a prosthodontist?

My #31 molar which was crowned in Decenber 2011 became sensitive to cold and pressure when chewing in April 2012. In March 2012, My dentist ground down some of the crown and also a part of the molar directly above it to correct the bite. In July 2012, the tooth became even more sensitive to cold and also started to ache. I was sent to an endodontist who said he could do a root canal but wouldn't know if he could complete it until he was actually "in there" to see if a fracture would impare the procedure. My other choice is removal of the tooth. Should I consult a prosthodontist? Could the crown be removed and redone to remedy the pain?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

For the problem you have a root canal by an endodontist is a better option.Even if uncertain of the out come there are always better remedies after a root canal.Since there is sensitivity , its best to go for root canal rather than revising the prosthesis.

I would like to to know why was the molar crowned at first place in December, what was the procedure done ?

What type of prosthetic crown was used ?

Waiting for your reply,