Moderately elevated blood pressure. Is the risk high?

Oncologist
Question
Is a blood pressure of 150/82 high risk?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your blood pressure.

And isolated blood pressure which you report at 150/82 is moderately elevated. This must be considered in the context of previous blood pressure measurements. In addition it is important to take blood pressure on a regular basis including morning afternoon and evening measurements to get a good idea what the average blood pressure seems to run over the daytime and nighttime.

There are several other issues which we must consider in looking at the blood pressure. First of all if there is a family history of high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease. We look very closely at blood pressure. In addition if there is any history of sudden cardiac death in the family blood pressure is certainly followed even more closely. Lastly ethnic considerations are also sometimes considered. African-Americans for example 10 to have a higher incidence of hypertension.

For you I recommend taking a look at your lifestyle and working on eliminating things which may raise the blood pressure. This includes excessive amount of salt intake as well as stimulants such as nicotine and caffeine. The next thing you want to do is work on maintaining a very healthy exercise regimen with exercise at least four or five days per week for 30 to 45 min. each time. Over 3 to 6 months you could make a significant impact on your blood pressure.

Sometimes despite all of the interventions which we try the blood pressure will still remains elevated. In this type of situation we consider medications to open the blood pressure under good control. In summary I am not concerned that your blood pressure is life-threatening at this time but I think it is something that needs to be following very closely. You can discuss this further with your primary care doctor. Next I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert.