Moderate pain in the ankle, cannot apply any weight. Taking Advil, no help. Solution ?

ENT Specialist
Hi My ankle is in moderate pain, I really cannot apply any weight to it, like I can walk barefoot, but not with shoes on and it has a dull achy throb. It happened suddenly yesterday after I got off work, i stand on my feet the entire shift. there is no swelling, and i am just kinda resting and icing and taking advil, but there really hasn't been much change. when i apply weight to it, especially walking down stairs the pain is pretty severe
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in...
Well, I can understand the problem you are facing with your ankle pain. Let me explain you about ankle pain.
The ankle is a "hinged" joint capable of moving the foot in two primary directions: away from the body and toward the body. It is formed by the meeting of three bones. The hard, bony knobs on each side of the ankle provide stability to the ankle joints, which function as weight-bearing joints for the body during standing and walking.
As per your description there seems to be prolonged weight bearing on the ankle joint leading to strain or sprain of the ligaments or both.
Some of the most common ankle joint injuries include:
* Sprains—tears to the ligaments that join the ends of bones together. The ankles are commonly affected by sprains.
* Strains—pulls or tears of muscles or tendons (the tissues that attach the muscles to the bones)
* Achilles tendonitis or rupture of the Achilles tendon—These injuries involve the large band of tissue that connects the calf muscles to the heel....
I would suggest you that you must avoid walking for a day or two till you walk pain free. Rest is the key here. It helps the stretched ligaments to go back to their resting state.
Cold applications with ice locally can help by causing the blood vessels to constrict. This constriction of the blood vessels prevents further and minimizes swelling and pain. The cold from an ice pack application also has an added benefit of providing pain relief.
Advil is a good pain killer and serves as mild muscle relaxant as well. Continue it for two days thrice a day post meal.
I am here for further follow ups.
Follow-up: Moderate pain in the ankle, cannot apply any weight. Taking Advil, no help. Solution ? 21 minutes later
I kind of figured it was something along those lines. Quick question, I am a college student, and really cannot afford to not work. Is there any way that I can wear an ankle brace or something similar so i can still go to work?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 46 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I understand the position that you are in.
While you can wear an ankle brace ( or get a crepe bandage secured around your ankle) and walk, you would run the risk of aggravating your injury.
I would suggest that you preferably rest for a day.
A brace, ice packs and a pain killer would help you recover. Also, do not put undue pressure on your foot.
If you must walk, wear an ankle brace, apply a diclofenac gel and please walk slowly.
Hope this helps.