Moderate mixed flora in a neg strep test. Normal?

What does a result of moderate mixed flora me on a neg strep test?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thnks for the query.

There are several types of bacteria which are present in the oral cavity in the mouth.

A strep test tests for the pathogenic bacteria - Streptococcus. Your test did not show Strep.

Your test did reveal the normal bacteria in the mouth which are referred to as "flora." This is normal and nothing at all to be concerned about.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Moderate mixed flora in a neg strep test. Normal? 20 hours later
It said moderate flora not normal does that make a difference?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

The term 'moderate' in the sense that you are referring to here, only refers to the amount of bacteria that were evaluated on the microbiology plate. This really does not mean anything and is more likely related to the time of incubation of the actual sample. Again, this is nothing to worry about and does not mean there is any issue with the bacteria that are normally present in your body.

You can as well disregard this finding as normal.

I thank you again for your question and follow up. I am here for you if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert