Moderate drinker and smoker. Want to quit. What are the health check ups done?

Rheumatologist
Question
I have been a moderate drinker/smoker for about a decade. I want to quit now. But i also want to know what health checkups should i get done to take stock?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
Dear Madam ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well first thing i would suggest you to enroll yourself in drug deaddiction centre that will help you out in overcoming this problem in every aspect . Regarding medical therapy Acamprosate, disulfiram and topiramate are used to treat alcohol addiction. Nicotine chewing gums are helpful in smoking deaddiction
Cognitive-behavioral therapy, Multidimensional family therapy, Motivational interviewing etc are used in behavioral therapy to protect from relapse .

You should get your routine blood tests like CBC , urine r/m , RBS done to get base line evaluation . A chest X XXXXXXX is needed to look for lung condition . A complete liver function test including gamma GGT is required specially for alcohol evaluation as liver is the first organ to be damaged by alcohol . A USG abdomen to look for fatty liver changes is also required.

Hope it suffices .

Wish you good health .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Moderate drinker and smoker. Want to quit. What are the health check ups done? 3 minutes later
I am looking specifically for the tests i should do to check the extent of damage...wherever its possible.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Dear madam ,

Thanks for getting back .

Well the tests which I have mentioned cover a general outline for damage evaluation . Further tests are required only when these report an abnormality .

Like if there are any changes in Chest X XXXXXXX further pulmonary function tests can be done for looking any signs of COPD . Liver elastography can be done to look for signs of early cirrhosis. But i dont think they are required at present.

Dr. Shruti