Moderate alcohol drinker. How much quantity of alcohol is good for health?

I consume alcohol about 3 times a week and I don't have any medical history. I don't drink till I drop, just about 2 or 3 pegs. I want to know whether this is a problem whether I should consult a doctor about this. I have no problems regarding my diet or anything.

Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 26 hours later
Hi and thanks or the query,
This shall actually depend on the alcohol concentration (degree or percentage) you take(wine, beer, whisky ??) and also an appraisal of the pegs you do take. Its not completely bad to drink alcohol. However, consuming very large quantities for a long period of time exposes you to the risk of chronic liver disease (cirrhosis), and other systemic lesions.
I suggest yu mee t your primary care physician with clear indications on the type of alcohol you onsume (Degree or percentage or concntration characteristics) and the exact quantities you do consume. This shall eb important in quatifying the amount of alcohol consumed, the concentration, the duration for whihc you have been onsuming alcohol and an idea of the risk can therefore be evaluated
Cetain aspects of your medical or past history could also be important during the discussion with your physician.
Thanks hope this helps,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD,
Follow-up: Moderate alcohol drinker. How much quantity of alcohol is good for health? 12 minutes later
To give you a few more details on my case..
What I drink? Whisky (Alcohol content 40%)
How much do I drink? 3 pegs (180 ml in total)
How often do I drink? 2 or 3 times a week

Do let me know whether this is all you need to answer my query or not.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 10 minutes later
Hi an thanks for the query,
If I calculate the amount of Alcohol in grams you take a day when you drink its going to be 0.6 * 180*3*0.4=86.4 grams a week.
86.4 Grams of alcohol a week gives a moderate risk of developing chronic liver disease. If you ould reduce this to Less than 50 grams a week, the 10 year risk of developing an alcohol related liver disease or condition becomes very minimal.
Also, some stuies carried out having proven that uits advisable to take wines than whiskies.
If you could dilute the whicky you take to reduce this alcohol threshold, to may be taking half of what you take, it would be very good.
This shaould be gradual, especially if you have been doing this for a long time to avoid an alcohol withdrawal syndrome.
thanks and best regads. I will be honored answering further questions if need be,
Luchuo, MD.