Mitral valve prolapse, high pulse, indigestion, coughing, dry esophagus. Treatment ?

Hello. My name is XXXXXXX I am a 25 year old male who was diagnosed with mitro valve prolapse a few years ago. My doctor said it was a lifelong deficiency and I shouldn't worry because I don't need surgery. But here is where I am concerned. I never really thought about symptoms I guess until now that I am getting older. Once I was playing ball and my heart was beating so hard I had to rest. But I thought I was just because I didn't play for a while. Now, I got a bit worried.

Whenever I wake up, if I jump out of bed, I will feel my heart beat and it sometimes give an indigestion feeling. Also, two times when I got into a big argument with someone; my heart beat so hard in activation and anxiety that I felt it in my back. I do drink coffee daily and read it could be caffeine symptoms and also symptoms of my valve issue. After it subsides, I have a cough sensation almost with a dry feeling in my esophagus and abdomen.

Is this anything I should worry about? Or just symptoms of MVP?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 16 minutes later

Mitral Valve Prolapse is a condition where, one of the valve leaflets of mitral valve prolapses upwards in opposite direction. I varies in severity. In milder forms, there is only a mild prolapse. In severe forms, there is complete prolapse with regurgitation.

The most common symptoms associated with MVP are palpitations. These can occur spontaneously or after any exertion/stress.
Your symptoms are pointing towards palpitations are are likely to be related to MVP.

Caffeine can not only induce palpitations by it self, it can also aggravate the palpitations caused by MVP.

So its all related to MVP.
If your ECHO does not show any Regurgitation, then its not of much concern.
Also, if the palpitation is short lived, its not of much concern.

If however, your heart rate increase to very high rates and persists for longer duration, a HOLTER will be recommended to evaluate for Arrhythmia.

So as of now, be reassured that the symptoms are related to MVP

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Mitral valve prolapse, high pulse, indigestion, coughing, dry esophagus. Treatment ? 1 hour later
Thank you very much doctor, for the peace of mind. I figured it was just symptoms, but you know how worked up the internet can get you. I am very grateful to get some solid answers from a doctor.

As for the frequency of the occurrence; you are right, I only get them briefly. Usually after I get agitated (adrenaline flows) or when I am exerting myself. It just feel a bit weird, but it subsides once I relax. And I was noticing a lot more when I would drink coffee close to the occurrence or that morning. I do like to eat, even though I am not over weight, so sometimes it is hard to differentiate the two from indigestion which brought some new concerns. But, again, that's the internet.

Thanks again for your responses. If it starts to sustain longer than briefly, which i doubt, I will contact my physician.

Good Night.
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks again.

I am happy that you are feeling satisfied.
Just be reassured.

Wish you a great health.

Take Care and Regards,

Dr Kiran