Mitral valve prolapse, Breast cancer survivor, abnormal EKG, possible ectopic atrial rhythm, possible anterior infarct, Inferior T wave changes are nonspecific. Meaning?

Question
I am 54, 185 lbs, 5'2". I exercise and am on Weight Watchers. Hav Mitral valve prolapse, Breast cancer survivor. I had my first ever abnormal ekg yesterday:
Possible ectopic atrial rhythm, possible anterior infarct, Inferior T wave changes are nonspecific, Low QRS voltages in precordial leads. I am terrified I am going to die soon. I did not understand the doctor yesterday, as I was in shock. Please tell me what this means. Stress test and echiocardigram tomorrow. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The changes in your EKG are indicative of a heart problem but definitely does not mean that you are going to die.

Ectopic atrial rhythm means that there is a slight occasional irregularity in your heart rhythm. Possible anterior infarct means that the anterior wall of your heart is not getting the optimum blood supply which is shown by low voltage complexes in V2-6 leads. Inferior T- wave changes are also indicating mild infarction.

The mildly compromised blood supply to your heart can be due to a partial block of the arteries supplying heart which can be known after doing the further tests.

These blocks can be cured with the help of stents according to the percentage of block. You need not panic until a complete diagnosis is known.

You need further investigations like ECHO(Ultrasound of the heart) and Angiography to know the percentage of the arteries blocked. Please discuss this with your treating doctor as knowing the cause is important for treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Mitral valve prolapse, Breast cancer survivor, abnormal EKG, possible ectopic atrial rhythm, possible anterior infarct, Inferior T wave changes are nonspecific. Meaning? 1 hour later
So this means I have blocked arteries? Or is it just a possibility? I do have good cholestral and triglicerides. If that means anything. Are stints dangerous?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks again for writing back.

Blocked arteries is just a possibility. There can be some vasoconstriction also.

If the cholesterol is well under control then blockage is unlikely.

Stents are not XXXXXXX but are life saving.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.