Missing periods and getting light brown discharge. Is it safe to take susten 400 mg?

Hello Doctor,
I had my last menstrual period on September 19th (my cycle is usually 28 days), so today is my 47th day. I confirmed the pregnancy with a scan last week. There was a light brown discharge (just about 2 drops) today evening. Being concerned, i went to the hospital immediately and the doctor on duty did a vaginal examination and said that there are no signs of bleeding or related discharge. There was just a small trace of a light brown discharge. She then prescribed me "Susten 400mg" (to be inserted into vagina) . I again checked now (after 2 hrs), there seems to be no discharge now, So Based on this description, can you please tell me whether to take this prescribed medicine or not.

If yes would there be any consequences due to this medicine ?

Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 minutes later
Bleeding in early weeks of pregnancy is common. But it can be XXXXXXX also and lead to miscarriage. Some people are prone to light bleeding and hence,complete rest is advised in early pregnancy. Susten is micronised progesterone and helps in sustaining the pregnancy. It wont harm the pregnancy.Instead it helps in prevention of miscarriage. Even though you may not be bleeding now,you can use the vaginal tablet as advised. It can be continued upto 10 -12 weeks .
Follow-up: Missing periods and getting light brown discharge. Is it safe to take susten 400 mg? 7 minutes later
Thanks for your answer,

As said earlier, there was no bleeding at all, only light brown colored discharge.

I was concerned about using this drug after reading this article on the internet -

Can you please explain ?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Susten is given widely and approved by many many professionals. It isnt recommended for use beyond the 1st trimester. Progesterone is a hormone thats found in high levels in pregnancy.Spontaneous abortions occur due to lack/deficiency of that hormone which is why the added supplementation is given.
I have prescribed that medicine to many patients.And its widely used in this country.
As for the article that you read, that drug is used in many other conditions including infertility.Different strengths of the drugs is used in those conditions.