Missing periods after intercourse. Tested positive for pregnancy. Any medication for abortion?

hi we r newly married couple..we participtaed in sex last month..til now my wife didnt get mensus..we used velocit(for preganancy test)its positive..but we dont want pregnancy..can u suggest any tablets..
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 12 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes, pregnancy can be terminated with drugs.

However before taking any medication, you should consult a gynecologist
This is important because self medication for abortion can be life threatening. Also it can lead to excess bleeding, incomplete abortion or sepsis when not taken properly.

You need to first get an ultrasound to know the site and size of pregnancy.
Only when it is inside the uterus and less than 7 weeks in size, you can use medicines to terminate pregnancy.

The abortion tablets have to be taken in proper dose and frequency in order to be effective. This can be done only when you are under supervision of a doctor.

I hope I have answered your query.