Missing periods after c-section. Getting lower back pain. What is going on?

Not had a period since my c-section 8 years ago. Have started to have quite badly last few weeks; no bleeding or discharge. Whats going on? Am 44yrs old.******bad period pain in lower back********
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 18 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

I would like you to clarify few points before I give you any advise.

You had no menses in the past 8 years?

You did not seek any treatment or investigation in the past 8 years for no periods?

Now you have suddenly started periods again which are very painful? or is it just pain?

Do you have symptoms of hot flushes, vaginal dryness and mood swings?

Kindly revert back with answers.

Waiting for your reply.
Follow-up: Missing periods after c-section. Getting lower back pain. What is going on? 53 minutes later
Just pain, no bleeding. No hot flushes or vaginal dryness or mood swings. Have had my hormone levels checked and they are 'normal'.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Your symptom of severe period like pain falls into a broad category of possibilities of which I would like to discuss the most probable ones.

It is exactly for the same reason that I would like to extract a bit more history from you in case you have any to share.

Since you did not menstruate after your caesarean section for 8 years, one possibility could be that you had scarring of the uterine lining after your caesarean.
This is a condition known as ashermann's syndrome, where instrumentation within the uterus or excessive curettage following any uterine surgery, cause damage and fibrosis of the uterine lining which manifests as no periods.
Cyclic period pain can occur in this condition.

The other possibilities of your period like pain can be associated pelvic diseases like an ovarian cyst, pelvic congestion syndrome or endometriosis.

For this you need to fix an appointment with a gynecologist, get your XXXXXXX and physical examination followed by ultrasound if required based on your examination.