Missing periods. What medication should be taken?

my wife is did not get mensuration this month. its 5 weeks from her last mensuration. Normally its a perfect 4 week cycle. Pls suggest me medication for getting periods. I was thinking of using Ovral L or similar medication. Please let me know whether shall i go ahead with this drug or do you suggest any thing else?
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 32 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

As she has been have very regular period, the cause of such delay / missed period can be pregnancy. .
Have you considered / ruled out pregnancy?

Is she using any contraception?

It would be wise to determine the cause of delayed period including pregnancy before starting any drugs.

Awaiting reply...

Follow-up: Missing periods. What medication should be taken? 29 minutes later

She has not been using contraception. We doubt it can be pregnancy. We do not want to carry it at this point in time. hence, seeking your help
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Thanks for input.

You can take urine pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy. Once pregnancy is confirmed you will need doctor's assistance if you want to terminate the pregnancy.

A doctor's physical assistance is essential as termination of pregnancy can lead to serious complications which can be life threatening at times. Besides that there are legal issues involved with the process.

I understand you are looking for some self medication; however it's always wise to involve your doctor in this case.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are doubts.