Missing periods. Waking up with half face swollen, passing white mass during bowel movement. What's wrong?

I have two issues going on right now. I woke up and half of my face was swollen. Went to the bathroom and had cramps and passed a white mass (bigger than a quarter.).
I have not had a period for 5/months and I am not pregnant
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think we're looking at multiple issues here and let me deal with them one by one.
As far as the swelling in half of the face is concerned, it could be due to sleeping on that side ( made worse by premenstrual water retention) or it can be due to an allergy as well (particularly if its associated with redness and itching) . I suggest you drink 3-4 litres of water and cut back on salt for some days.If there was another reason for the swelling the whole face would be involved.
The white mass could be mucus which can be due to a gastrointestinal infection that you're having or it could again by premenstrual. The former is more likely as you had cramps. If this persists, please see a physician. A course of antibiotics would be in order.
Not having a period for 5 months is definitely something that we need to look into. Although we could attribute it to pre-menopausal changes, its better to look around a little first. We would have to start with an ultrasound of the pelvis following which we can run other tests to make sure everything is fine ( and these are just peri-menopausal changes)
Please see your physician for this. We definitely need an evaluation on this.
Let me know if you have any more questions