Missing periods. Took meprate tablets. Still not getting periods. What could be the reason?

May 2013
Hi... Im 25 years old and im married... I had my last period on July 26th. I have tried pregnancy test and after negative result, I have visited gynic... She asked me to take meprate tablets for 5 days, 3 tablets a day... 10 days have completed after taking meprate... still I didnt get my period... what could be the reason?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later

The possible causes for missed periods are:
Poly cystic ovary disease.
Thyroid hormonal fluctuations.
Stress and strain.
Changes in diet and exercise which can affect the weight.
Recent illness etc.
All these can influence the hormones which will regulate the menstrual cycle and can lead to menstrual irregularity.
Urine pregnancy test kits sometimes may not detect early pregnancy.
So better to undergo ultrasound which will rule out the possibility of pregnancy and can also can find out the cause for the missed periods.
If needed you can undergo blood tests for hemoglobin and thyroid hormonal levels.
With this workup the possible cause can be find out and treatment can be given.
When only hormonal problem is found, better to go for combined oral pills as progesterone pills didn't work.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.