Missing periods. Pregnancy test positive. Started bleeding. Ultrasound done. Is everything fine with pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question

I had my last periods on 9th/June/2012,and i missed my periods this time...Had strip test and I was pregnant...My Gyn asked me to come after 10days for TVS.But on 18th morning i.e, today I started bleeding...went to my doc she was at OT busy with some emergency case.Met her assistant doctor,Had my TVS and there was a small sac but no fetal pole...she told me that for 5 week gestation this is normal but I need to take complete bed rest considering that i am bleeding and need to go through a tvs again after a week to see if there is a fetal pole...

Also,she gave me following medicines:

Lupin HCG(injection)1s a week
1 injection for progestrone
Progestrone 200
folic acid 10 mg

Is everything fine with my pregnancy?
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi XXXXXX

the possible causes of bleeding in early pregnancy are,

-when gestational sac embedded in uterine wall that can damage some blood vessels leading to spotting,
-presence of sub-chorionic hematoma,
-some women may have bleeding on expected day of periods even in pregnancy,
-increased blood supply to local organs can cause spotting even on mild friction,
-in the process of miscarriage etc

as your doctor after taking ultrasound told that everything is normal no need to worry,it is true that sometimes the fetal pole may not be visible at 5 weeks, so better to wait for one more week.
if you are not having symptoms like pain abdomen, excessive bleeding etc no need to bother but if your spotting increases or pain arises have to consult your doctor immediately.

you can take the recommended drugs, as sometimes HCG deficiency can cause miscarriage that injection and other progesterone injections will help in preventing that,
folic acid tablets will help in the neurological development of the baby.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Missing periods. Pregnancy test positive. Started bleeding. Ultrasound done. Is everything fine with pregnancy? 2 hours later
Thank Doctor for your spontaneous and easily understandable reply..I want to add that I am having dark brown spotting...Also the other doctor has asked me to replace Progestrone 200mg with Duphastone 10mg..I am little skeptical on this.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXX

as I told if your spotting is not increasing or not associated with pain abdomen no need to worry as you are already undercover of medicines,

progesterone 200mg and duphastone 10mg both are different forms progesterones only, but some doctors believe that duphastone is more effective, so if you want you can follow his advice.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.