Missing periods. Pregnancy test positive. Safe to travel? Precaution to be taken?

Hi sir,
Self female 23 yrs old,this month my period was delayed around 5 days , i have checked with HPT and HCG by lab both are positive result. during this time my husband has got transfer so we need to travel i got lot of confusion why becoz after 1 1/2 yr i have concieved.
My questions&doubts
1) can i travel by train (total train journey is 36 hrs) plan to travel in 2 XXXXXXX AC, no transist
2) if train travel is acceptable what type of precautions has to be taken care before,during, after travel journey
3) I am taking follic acid tablets which was recommended by gynaclogist
4) which will be the safe mode of travel by air or Train?

Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 8 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

1. Travel is safe in pregnancy provided the duration and exertion is less.
36 hours by train is definitely long but it depends on your stamina.
If the travel exerts you, I suggest you not to travel.

Any mode of travel is safe provided it is not too long to exert you or associated with jerks.
Neither train nor air travel has jerks so the choice depends on the number of hours you wish to travel.

2. Precautions like avoiding too much walking, exertion, jerks and lifting weights are to be avoided.
If you have travel sickness then you should keep anti emetics safe in pregnancy. This is because as it is pregnancy is associated with nausea and if you have predisposition , it may get worse with travel.
Your gynecologist would prescribe you the safe drug to control nausea and vomiting.

3. Folic acid tablet is a vitamin essential in all pregnancies in the first 3 months. So you have to continue to it.

4. Both are safe modes. Considering the long travel by train of 36 hours if the air travel is a shorter one, I suggest you to choose air travel.

I hope I have answered your queries.

Follow-up: Missing periods. Pregnancy test positive. Safe to travel? Precaution to be taken? 9 hours later
Hello Madam,

1) frequency of USG/sonography till delivery

2) In first three months having sex will be safe ?

3) No vomitting probelm in train journey , any extra tablets need to be taken while travelling other than follic acid tab for precautions
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 9 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

1. Usually only One ultrasound at or after 18 weeks is required.
18 weeks scan is a must in all pregnancies to look for the development of the baby to rule out any defects or birth anomalies.

But A first trimester ultrasound at 6-7 weeks of pregnancy to know the site of pregnancy and viability should be done if you can afford.

Rest depends on you how frequent you wish to monitor your baby's growth or if you have any problems during the course of pregnancy.

2. Intercourse is not contraindicated during the first 3 months provided you do not have any history of previous miscarriage or bleeding problems in this pregnancy.

3. Yes you may ask your gynecologist to prescribe you safe drugs to control vomiting in case you develop during the journey. It is advisable to carry them especially while travelling to avoid motion sickness.
Avoid any other unnecessary medication.

I hope I have answered your query.