Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. On different medicine. Is this causing false pregnancy test?

Sep 2012

i am two weeks late on my period but the pregnancy tests are negative.I am on 20 mg inderal 5 times a day, 200 mg topomax twice a day, 325 xl wellbutrin once a day, 2 mg xanax 5 x a day and 2l.5 cr ambien once at bedtime. could any of those medications be giving me a false negaive pregnancy test?
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

First, the drugs you are taking (Inderal, Topomax, wellbutrin, Xanax and Ambien) do not influence the results of pregnancy test. Therefore they do not cause false negative pregnancy test.

As the tests are negative it is unlikely that you are pregnant. You can however consider other tests such as
- Blood beta-hCG (Human chorionic Gonadotropin) level
- Ultrasonogram.

The aforementioned will rule out pregnancy beyond all doubts.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.