Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Any chances of pregnancy?

Sep 2012

My period is due now..and is late by 3 days and when I took pregnancy test at home today morning it showed negative. Are there any chances of being pregnant? Also if Iam not pregnant can I also know when are my likely ovulation dates?

My cycle details from past 5 months: XXXXXXX 2012 - 27th
July 29th
August 2012 - 25th
September 2012 - 28th
October 2012 - 26th

Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

I am giving your answers one by one.

1.     Though the home pregnancy test done on or after the day of missed period, is very accurate, if you want more accurate confirmation, you can do the Beta HCG test of serum. In pregnancy, the level of Beta HCG is increased. You can also perform an ultrasound scan which will give you confirmation of the situation.

2.     From your menstrual history, it is evident that your menstrual cycles are slightly irregular. It varies from 28 days to 35 days. Normally, in a woman having 28 days regular cycle, has her ovulation on 14th day. In your case, I think your ovulation days are within 10 to 22 days.

There are some crude method for detection of date of ovulation like maintaining body temperature chart, examination of vaginal secretion, etc. But these are not very much practical. A gold standard procedure is to do serial ultrasound scan of abdomen for follicular study. Only this can tell your day of ovulation with guarantee. For this you have to consult with your gynecologist.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Any chances of pregnancy? 49 minutes later
After October 26th we had intercourse between 10 and 21 days every alternate day. Would like to know what would be my chances of being pregnant and also Can you please let me know on becoming pregnant sooner. Also would like to know how to calculate the correct date for ovulation?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 53 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, the chance of pregnancy depends on some other parameters except intercourse.
1. Your current hormonal status.
2. Whether your menstrual cycles are ovulatory or not.
3. The pregnancy test after that, ( if you do not have any period till then).

If you have not done any investigation, then you can consult with a gynecologist for clinical examination and ordering the required investigation.

I have already told you about calculating the day of ovulation. As I have told previously, you should go for follicular study. That is the only way to have confirmed date of ovulation.