Missing periods. PG test negative. Losing weight. Have cellulitis infection in legs. Should I be worried?

I am 11 days late, 3 negative pregnancy tests, blood on toilet paper after bowel movement just now. I have done the XXXXXXX diet for the past 6 weeks, lost 25 pounds (I am just now at 300 lbs), went to London for a week where I had a cellulitus infection in my leg and I have been on 3 antibiotics since, which are now done. Should I be worried about the blood and missed period?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Hi , welcome to healthcare magic

Delayed periods can be due to another of factors such as (1)emotional or physical stress, (2)inadequate diet, (3)excessive physical activity(4)hormonal factors such as PCOS which is characterised by infertility, cysts in the ovaries, signs and symptoms of excess male hormones (females normally have a little male hormones),(5) problems related to the thyroid hormone- low thyroid can disrupt the period (6) excess of another hormone called prolactin (7) pregnancy

Since you have done 3 pregnancy tests which have been negative, it may be that they have been done too early ( pregnancy test detect the level of HCG in the urine and need it to be above a certain level for most tests though they are early detectors) or there is another cause. You can consider waiting another 2 or 3 days to repeat the test if remains negative then pregnancy unlikely and would have to look for another cause.If it continues you made need to see your gyneacologist for an assessment.
It could be the change in diet and the weight loss may contribute to the late period, especially if combined with excess physical activity, though persons who have additional weight often normalise their periods through weight loss.

The blood seen on wiping is unlikely to be connected to the missed periods. Blood on wiping can be due to straining, passage of hard stool, haemorrhoids, fissure (small cut that can be in the anal region, usually painful), diverticular disease which are little outpuching that can occur in the colon-they are not cancerous,growths in the anus or in the colon which can be non cancerous or cancerous.

It is usually advised that anyone who sees blood in the anal region whether on wiping or in the bowl should see a doctor to make sure they are no serious problems. In most cases it is not serious but your doctor will need to take a full history and examine your abdomen and anal region to make sure.
He or she may suggest tests based on what they find.

I hope this information is helpful to you , feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Missing periods. PG test negative. Losing weight. Have cellulitis infection in legs. Should I be worried? 2 hours later
Just to keep my mind at more ease, I am usually very regular. I also know my body signs and my breasts are usually sore as part of PMS. I do not have any usual PMS symptoms that would be pregnancy symptoms. I had protected sex the day before my last period and on the day of my expected period (in which he also pulled out). Is it possible to ovulate when I expected my period? To me that is the only way I could be pregnant. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

Ovulation usually starts approximately 10 to 14 days after the onset of the last period.
In general when calculating a female's ovulation period we count 2 weeks from the onset of the last period and include the 3 days before and after this point. These 6-7 days are the time a woman usually ovulates.
It is unlikely that you would be ovulating at the time your period is about to occur if it is usually regular.

I hope this helps to put your mind to rest. You can ask any additional questions if anything remains unclear
Follow-up: Missing periods. PG test negative. Losing weight. Have cellulitis infection in legs. Should I be worried? 49 minutes later
Thanks. So now it is just a waiting game for a not so patient person. :-( Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later

Yes , you can wait a few days (2-3) to see if the period comes, if it doesn't repeat the pregnancy test.
If that remains negative then you should consider visiting your gynaecologist for a check up.

You should also see your GP about the blood on wiping.

I hope everything works out for you and good luck on the low carbohydrate diet.