Missing periods. HPT negative. Having lower abdominal pain. What are the risks?

I am 9 days late for my period. HPT shown Pregnancy is negative. I have lower abdomen pain. I do not have any pregnency symptoms. What is the next step?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 58 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I advice you to repeat the test, it will be better if you use the early morning urine sample. These kits nearly 97 to 98% accurate.

If even after repeating it is negative and still your periods have not come it will be better if you see OBG specialist for thorough examination. Ultrasound will be helpful in knowing whether you are pregnant or not.

Lower abdomen pain can be due to number of reasons and not always due to pregnancy and usually early pregnancy of 4 to 5 weeks will not be showing any symptoms.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Missing periods. HPT negative. Having lower abdominal pain. What are the risks? 46 minutes later
What are the possible causes for missing period? I have never missed my period for more than 3 days. I am using some calcium tablets suggested by a ortho physician. Is that the cause for missing period? How many days should i wait before taking the next HPT. I have used the early morning urine sample only for my HPT which was negative.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Good to hear from you.
Pregnancy is the first thing that we think of when our period is delayed. But there are other causes too, it includes 1. Stress, it can affect many things in our lives, including our periods. Sometimes we're so stressed out that our body decreases the amount of a hormone, which causes us to not ovulate or menstruate. 2. illness, medications, being over or under weight, changing schedules can really throw off your body clock. This is particularly true if you go from days to nights at work or vice versa.
I don't think the calcium is responsible. Usually the kit will be effective after week of missed period, as it is already a week you can go head and repeat the test. As advised above if it is negative and periods still absent i advice you to see OBG specialist.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.