Missing periods. Getting cramps, started spotting and feeling nausea. Am I miscarrying?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi, my period was late by 4 days, after 2 days I had been having really bad cramps. Then i started with light spotting on the forth day. Its then turned to lighter blood but not heavy. I have gone to bed early for last few night feeling so exhausted. I had nausea for the last 5 days on and off. I'm still lightly bleeding and have constant cramps. I took a test the Friday the day my period was due but it was negative. I was going to do another test in a couple of days. Please could you advise as i have never had as bad constant cramps i suspect i may be miscarrying? Thanks XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 45 minutes later
hi XXXXXX

cramps can occur usually during or just before periods but more painful cramps can be noted because of conditions like,
-psychological factors like emotional stress,
-physical factors like lack of exercise,
-anatomical factors like retroverted uterus or narrow cervical os,
-and as you told in case of miscarriage as the uterus tries to expel the products of conception.

severe pain can cause nausea and exhaustion also,

so to know the possible cause of your problem, you consult gynecologist undergo blood test for pregnancy,physical examination and ultrasound, by this work up
if pregnancy test comes positive you can know the condition of the fetus,
if comes negative you can know the cause for your dysmenorrhea and other menstrual irregularities and treatment can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Missing periods. Getting cramps, started spotting and feeling nausea. Am I miscarrying? 25 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. I exercise 3 times a week and i dont have a stressful job. I will do a pregnancy test tomorrow. Or should i wait a few more days?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 29 minutes later
hi XXXXXX

as you already crossed your date of periods you can go for blood test for pregnancy tomorrow and depending on the result you can proceed as I told.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.