Missing periods. After how long should I take pregnancy test?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
at almost 6 weeks, shouldnt my hpt's be positive in the morning AND in the evening?
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 minutes later

Usually urine pregnancy test is advised to be done with early morning midstream urine sample.
But sometimes urine pregnancy test kits may not detect early pregnancy and can give false negatives.
So if you want to get accurate result better to go for blood test for pregnancy, which is more sensitive in detecting early pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Missing periods. After how long should I take pregnancy test? 5 minutes later
Thank you for the info. I have been testing with morning urine for the past 2 weeks and sometimes i get an extremely faint positive, sometimes its negative and sometimes its slightly darker. i went for a transvaginal ultra sound last week which would have put me at 4/5 weeks and nothing could be seen other than a 'thickening uterus.' does it sound to you like i am pregnant? i conceived on sept.18.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later

As I told previously urine pregnancy test kits may not detect early pregnancy sometimes.
And also the result can get influenced by the concentration of the urine, time between adding urine and reading the result etc.
Increased thickness of endometrium is the first sign of pregnancy in ultrasound but thickening of uterus is different and it can occur due to different causes.
As you are having 4 to 5 weeks of pregnancy according to previous scan, you wait for one more week and undergo repeat scan which will confirm the possibility of pregnancy and also gestational age.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.