Missing period with brown discharge. HPT negative. What could be causing this?

Hi - I have a menstrual cycle that lasts from 30 - 36 days. I am a 26 year old female.This time I have not had my period and I am on day 46 now. A week ago I noticed a brown discharge which was dry and elastic type. This discharge was light and then it stopped.
I am sexually active ( safe sex) and pregnancy test is negative on day 45.
I did a Brazilian wax for the first time last month on the 7th day of my period. I am not sure if this is connected.
I also took a course of NSAID last month just after my period for a lower back sprain.
I have a feeling of constant tiredness, my diet and lifestyle is not very healthy at the moment. I play tennis twice a week.
I remember four years ago i had this problem and got my period after 60 days due to change of place etc. This time i have had no such changes except for the weather. It is now winter here where I live and this place is hot most of the year. ( I have a healthy thyroid) . I also have a lot of hairfall
This is really stressing me out. Please help.
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 40 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for the query

Delayed periods with brown discharge is mostly due to anemia , stress , hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries.As you are not having any thyroid problem so the other causes can be the cause of delayed periods.Change in climate can be one of the factors but to diagnose it you must undergo an ultrasound so as to see the ovaries and endometrium.Waxing can cause dryness but bleeding can be caused due to erosion of the skin which is very rare.NSAID.s usually do not interfere with the cycle.Just relax , have proper sleep and good diet which is XXXXXXX in iron.It's good that you play tennis twice a week as the activity and diet play a very important role in regulating the cycle.Do not take any medicine or hormones till the scan is done.
Best wishes
If you want to ask anything else you are most welcome
Follow-up: Missing period with brown discharge. HPT negative. What could be causing this? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Bhagia
Thank You for your response to my concern. It is helpful indeed. I am also not anemic, i recently did a thorough blood check. I guess the reason then is either stress or polycystic ovaries. I did have an extremely stress full month due to certain personal issues.

Could you tell me if there are any other specific symptoms that can suggest polycistic ovaries?

I have a healthy cholesterol level. I have a healthy weight and BMI.
I did however lose a bit of weight recently ( 3 kgs) and my current lifestyle includes just one meal a day.

I was checked for PCOS two years ago and the result was inconclusive.

Thank You for your time.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 14 hours later

Welcome once again

The symptoms of PCOD are weight gain , excessive hair growth , Pearl white string appearance of ovaries on ultrasound in which the capsule is thick and the cycles are anovulatory.In your case I don't think it is PCOD as your weight is normal as well as your scan was normal two years back.Only one delayed cycle is less likely to be due to PCOD.I think it is stress , anemia and climate which has affected your cycle.Take iron supplements and have proper sleep , avoid stress by doing yoga and meditation.Regular exercise is very important.I hope your next cycle will be regular if you follow this regime.
Good luck once again
Follow-up: Missing period with brown discharge. HPT negative. What could be causing this? 10 hours later
Thank You so much Dr. Minoo. You have been very helpful. My final question is if I have taken a pregnancy test at home on day 45 and it was negative, can i be assured that there is no chance of pregnancy? Since this is the first missed period I am a bit stressed.

Thank You for your time.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 15 hours later

Welcome once again

You can repeat the test, if two consecutive results are negative then the chances are almost nil.Sometimes there can be false negative results so wait for one week and get an ultrasound done for the further confirmation.Blood test done for beta Hcg levels are more conclusive.Just relax

Best wishes once again