Missing period for months and getting it for a few weeks. Should I be worried?

i have very irregular periods, i tend to miss my periods for at least 2-3 months then i appears. however, when i do get my period it lasts for about 2-3 weeks. should i be worried?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 54 minutes later

Yes, you definitely need to be evaluated for your symptoms.

The irregular periods could be due to polycystic ovaries, hormonal imbalance or even a uterine pathology like fibroid.

You would at least need to get a trans-vaginal ultrasound done, to rule out most of the conditions that may be present in you.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Missing period for months and getting it for a few weeks. Should I be worried? 3 days later
is there any possibility of knowing i would most like be able to get pregnant?
i really want to become pregnant but it seem to be difficult
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

Yes, there are specific ways by which we can know about your ability to conceive, starting from ovulation prediction kits to follicular study on the ultrasound.

A few basic tests need to be done as well, to know about your status of carrying a healthy baby. That would be your hemoglobin levels, HIV, HbsAg test, VDRL, a general physical examination and yes, for sure, an ultrasound of the uterus and the ovaries.

If all these are normal, your chances of conceiving are pretty high.

If you really want to conceive, you must have sexual intercourse without fail on the days of your ovulation, once daily, at least for 3 days consecutively, without fail.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Missing period for months and getting it for a few weeks. Should I be worried? 4 hours later
the issue is that i have irregular periods and it is difficult to monitor when i might be ovulating.
what are the chances of me being pregnant while having unprotected sex with my partner during my period.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Thanks for your revert.

I agree with you when you say it is difficult to monitor ovulation days when you have irregular periods.

You need to be in constant consultation with your Gynecologist, go for monthly follicular scans to comment on the ovulation specifically.

When you have unprotected sexual intercourse with your partner during your period i.e. during menstruation, the chances of you getting pregnant is almost nil.

Hope I have been of help.