Missing period and feeling dizzy. Should I be worried for pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hi. I am 51 years old. I have been having regular periods and now overdue and worried I may be pregnant. I am 5-6 days late. I am also experiencing very bad dizzy spells when laid down and turnover. The room spins
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 33 minutes later

Period date may alter/ delay 1-7 days and cycle varies from 21-35 days. It is considered as normal thing and mostly occurs due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress. It is more common prior to menopause or near peri-menopausal age group.

Here, you can wait for few days and undergo one home pregnancy test after 7 days & one blood test for beta-hcg if you have doubt in pregnancy.

Other reasons are stress/ anxiety, irregular eating habit, overweight or rapid weight loss, taking any psychiatric medication, thyroid disturbance, pelvic or vaginal infection etc.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to perform complete health check up including pelvic examination. Some relevant investigation may be needed to pin point the diagnosis.

In the mean time, following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables and vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ meditation regularly (20-30 minutes).
4) Control body weight by regular light physical exercise. Maintain genital hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen