Missing period after taking ipill. Pregnancy test negative. Should I be worried?

Question
I have taken two ipills last month. One one 10th and 14th feb. My period date was 3rd march but till now I havent gt my periods .. is dere anything to worry about .. when will I get my next periods. I took pragnancy test too and its negative
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 23 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It is not suprising that the pregnancy tests are negative. My guess is that you took the pills appropriately within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. They are considered very effective. Then, when your period was late, and at the time that a test would normally turn positive, the test was negative.

One effect of the emergency contraception is a delay in ovulation and a resultant delay in your period. This is an effect of the hormones that you have taken for emergency contraception.

In your case, I would recommend to a patient in a similar situation to check a pregnancy test weekly until you get your period.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.

Follow-up: Missing period after taking ipill. Pregnancy test negative. Should I be worried? 7 minutes later
I took the pills for the first time so I m scared if it caused any side effect.. I usually know when my ovulation occurd and this month it occurred late.. most probably on 25th feb. So approximately when will I hv my periods and I took my pragnancy test last friday at my home itself when should I take it next. Should I be consulting any local physicia. .

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
I would probably expect your next period within the next 1 to 2 weeks. The only side effect that you have caused is a disruption of your normal cycle. Finally, I would recommend repeating the test weekly until you get a period- in other words if the last test was a week ago, then do another test this coming Friday!

Follow-up: Missing period after taking ipill. Pregnancy test negative. Should I be worried? 12 hours later
Can you suggest any medicine which will help me have my periods fast.

Yes- you can take Provera 10mg orally for 5 or 10 days. When you finish the medication, within a few days, you will get a period.