Missing period. Suggest an abortion pill to terminate pregnancy

Mar 2013
My wife have a problem of improper timing for her periods. generally she gets her period at most in 45 days. her last period date was around 09-02-2013.we had sex on 01-04-2013 and till date(ie. on 09-04-2013) she have not got her periods(almost 60 days no periods) so we are worried that if she is pregnant.
So firstly if we check her pregnancy test through velocity test kit will it give proper result within 10 days of having sex. And if the test shows positive, what should we do to avoid her pregnancy and get back her periods with out any risk and harm to her body.
So if she is pregnant please suggest which pill to be taken after 10 to 15 days of pregnancy and not having periods of 60 days(i.e around 15 missed days of periods). i need the name of the medicine and please prescribe when and how to take and by what time we can take the medicine to stop her pregnancy.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
With irregular cycles, it is unwise to rely on a pregnancy test to diagnose a pregnancy.
Also, you cannot detect a pregnancy 10 days after intercourse.
I would advise you to consult a Gynecologist if she does not have a period within a week.
Of course, this is provided that intercourse occurred only on 1st April, and not earlier, after her last period.

It is sad in our country that medical abortion kits and medicines are freely available from chemists without a proper prescription, but it is illegal and unethical.
In addition, for the patient, it is highly XXXXXXX , life threatening and risky.
I advise you not to take a single tablet without first consulting a Gynecologist.
I will try to explain why this is so.

Firstly, the pregnancy has to be confirmed by a gynecologist, not just by a home urine pregnancy kit, as home tests are not always reliable.
Then the exact weeks and days of the pregnancy have to be confirmed, because beyond 49 days of pregnancy, there is a high likelihood that the medical abortion pills will not work.
Thirdly, it has to be confirmed that the pregnancy is intra uterine, that is not outside the uterus. If it is an ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ), the results of taking such tablets randomly can be life threatening.
Fourth, the exact dosage and schedule has to be explained to you by a gynecologist, because even if you make a single mistake in taking the pills, the abortion would not be successful.
Fifth, after taking the pills, you need to have a follow up visit with your gynecologist, so that she can confirm that the abortion is complete, and the uterus is empty. Otherwise you have chances of incomplete abortion and the dead tissue being retained inside the uterus, leading to severe infection and other complications.
Sixth, anytime after taking the pills, you would have heavy bleeding and cramps with passage of tissues. In some patients the bleeding can be severe and you would require emergency hospital care, which is possible if you have already consulted a reputed gynecologist.

I hope I have given you enough reasons to understand the importance of consulting a Doctor before taking those pills.

Also, even if she is not pregnant, get her evaluated by a Gynecologist, as at 25 such delayed periods are not normal.
She could be suffering from polycystic ovaries etc, which will impact future health and fertility.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Missing period. Suggest an abortion pill to terminate pregnancy 23 hours later
thank u so much for your advice...i will follow it
mam i would also like to know that till what time a girl can stop her pregnancy apart from having absortion. Also we are a newly married couple. so we dont really know what are the various precautions available in the market which we can use for safe sex. also i want to know the name of any lubricant which can be used during sex.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hi again
Apart from having an abortion, there are various methods for contraception or avoiding a pregnancy.
You can use various good quality condoms which are freely available in the Market in various forms.
Newly married females can opt for various kinds of birth control pills, which are convenient .
KY jelly is an excellent lubricant for intercourse.
There are newer methods available like female condom and the Nuvaring, which is a vaginal contraceptive ring.
I would suggest you to consult a Gynecologist for this issue, as she can examine your wife and prescribe the safest and best method.
Follow-up: Missing period. Suggest an abortion pill to terminate pregnancy 21 hours later
Thank you mam for your advice. But going to a Gynecologist and taking about sexual protection or any such thing gets difficult. As in face to face conversation sometimes it gets very difficult to ask certain questions. therefor mam as we both being recently married are not at all aware of any protective ways of sex, please guide me with the following doubts and all that thing that one should be aware of for having a good sexual life. What are the good and bad side of having sex. should we have sex during her periods. what are the things we should keep in mind during sex. And what is the name of the pill that she can take immediately after sex if we go for un protective sex and we want to avoid pregnancy. The medicine should not cause any side effects and within what time we can take that will be really helpful to us and grateful on ur part to guide us properly.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 hours later
There is no good or bad sides of having sex.
It is a normal part of married life, and you can have sex as frequently as you wish.
You can have sex anytime during the menstrual cycle , but you have high chances of getting pregnant around the days of ovulation, that is around the 14th day of the cycle.
Please consult a gynecologist for contraception, as I pill is not recommended for routine protection.
it is only for emergency, and not a routine measure for avoiding pregnancy.
It has its own side effects, and is most effective if taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex.
In this day and age, please be sensible enough to frankly have counselling with a gynecologist for contraception.