Missing period. Sonography done, no signs of pregnancy. Should I take duphaston tablet?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
hi,i am 36 yrs old.i had my periods on 3rd march,still haven't got my periods.Usually my cycle is of 30-40 days.I have a sonography done on 5th apr,but there no signs of pregnancy.May be it was too early to get the test done.I am very anxoius don't know what to do.I don't want to continue with my pregnancy(If i am,i don't know).Should i take duphaston tablets?Pls suggest.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later
As your cycle length varies from 30 to 40 days, this delay could be normal for you.
And yes, ultrasound may not detect very early pregnancy.
So you better go for blood test for pregnancy, which can give accurate result in early pregnancy compared with urine test.
If the test comes positive, you consult gynecologist and take tablets for medical abortion.
If the test comes negative, you wait for one more week. Possibly by that time you may get your periods. If not you can take duphaston tablets for withdrawal bleeding.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Missing period. Sonography done, no signs of pregnancy. Should I take duphaston tablet? 8 hours later
thanks a lot for the reply,i am satisfied,but still have a doubt.Last time,i mean 2 yrs back i had the same situation.The BHCG report was negative ,so doctor prescribed duphaston but there was no bleeding.So,after 15 days got my ultrasound which showed that i have conceived and moreover there was a discrepancy in my lmp and ultrasound report.Also,as of now don't have any signs interms of nausea etc..so really i don't want to go in for tests..pls.suggest

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
Sometimes the blood test for pregnancy can show false negatives due to different reasons.
But this may not repeat all the time.
As you are anxious about the delay in periods, better to go for the test.
If you don't want, wait for one more week, possibly by that time you will get periods.
If you do not get periods even by that time, go for repeat ultrasound. This time ultrasound can pickup the signs of pregnancy if pregnancy is there.
After excluding the pregnancy you can go for withdrawal bleeding.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.