Missing period. Pregnancy test negative. Suggest a safe medicine to get period

Mar 2013
Hi Doctor,

My Periods was due on the 2nd of March, it has not happened yet. I am not pregnant, as my reports on pregnancy tests are negative. I will be travelling next week around 14th of March and would not to have my periods before that. I am 28 years old and have normal regular menstrual cycles. I do not have any specific medical problems. I have occasional migraines and suffer from Pre menstrual syndromes at times. I live a healthy lifestyle and exercise regularly.

Please suggest me a safe medication ( any OTC medicine available in India) for having my periods before my trip. Please mention the side effects and dosage also.

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
Could you please provide me details of your previous menstrual cycles ?
The dates, duration of flow, cycle length etc.
It would enable me to assist you better.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Also, if you are sexually active, using any contraception, medications, treatment for migraine etc.
Follow-up: Missing period. Pregnancy test negative. Suggest a safe medicine to get period 6 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
I started menstruating on 2nd of Feb, 2013 and it lasted for 4 days with normal and regular flow!! I was in the process of shifting my house from one city to another and was on a lot of stress from the past few weeks. Could this me a reason for missing periods? I was experiencing PMS around a week back, but the symptoms gradually subsided..I do not use any oral pills, contraceptives, my husband uses condoms as protection and I used home pregnancy strips on early morning urine, which turned out to be negative. So I am not pregnant.

There is no vaginal discharge or abnormality. I am feeling absolutely fine.

Please suggest a remedy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Anxiety, stress, frequent travelling, emotional upheavals are amongst the commonest causes for missed periods.
But apart from that, there maybe reasons like thyroid disorders, polycystic ovaries, endometrial lesions etc.
Also, since you were stressed out, your ovulation might be erratic, so there is a very rare chance that you might have had a late conception.
My point is that you should consult a gynecologist for a check up before taking any medicine to delay / alter your period.
Generally drugs like Meprate are given to delay periods.
You can continue taking Meprate twice a day till as long as you do not want your periods.
Once you stop it, you would bleed within 3 - 4 days.
However XXXXXXX it is NOT recommended to take the medicine without consulting a doctor first.
Meprate is progesterone, which can worsen migraine headaches.
The exact dose depends on your weight and other medical factors, best assessed by appointment with a gynecologist.
Also, other causes of a missed period should be investigated thoroughly before assuming that it is stress that is the culprit.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Missing period. Pregnancy test negative. Suggest a safe medicine to get period 1 minute later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for answering my query!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
You are most welcome anytime, XXXXXXX
I appreciate you for understanding the issue completely, as most patients immaturely insist on medication, without understanding the importance of a check up for their future well being.