Missing period. Have greasy hair, swollen legs and periodic cramps. No pcos or diabetes

hi, I have not had periods now since Sept 2012 and I'm going to be hair is getting very greasy and legs swell a LOT...I get cramps etc around period time and feel agitated and irritable but no period. I been tested for PCOS and diabetes and cardiac tests etc and all fine...weight is 70lbs overweight and constantly craving sweet things and carbs. I don't reallly know what to do and Drs not taking me seriously.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Not having periods for last more than 5 months with pregnancy and PCOD (Poly cystic ovarian disease) ruled out can be due to severe anaemia, hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amenorrhea or less frequently a pituitary tumour causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause.

Premature menopause also needs to be ruled out after the FSH(Follicle stimulating hormone) hormone levels assessment.

Please visit your gynaecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.