Missing period. Have cold and sweaty feet. Getting panic attack and started spotting. What is wrong?

I have been sick for about a month now, I'm 47 year old female had not had a period for eight months now but then started a light period that only lasted for 5 days. I have been sweating from my feet and hands with cold chills and my face gets really hot some times. I have been getting constant panick attacks and feel very depressed and weak and feeling like there is something really wrong with me. Went to the er last week they said I'm not having a heart attack and nothing showed on my chest ex XXXXXXX Plz help
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the symptoms. The episodic anxiety symptoms along with the depressive symptoms you are reporting are typical of hot flushes in the perimenopausal period. It is due to hormonal imbalance due to deficiency of oestrogen. Hormonal levels and psychiatric symptoms are closely linked ! I would suggest you undergo an evaluation by either a psychiatrist or gynaecologist. The treatment options include SNRI drugs like venlafaxine that would address your anxiety as well as depressive symptoms. Evening primrose oil and vitamin E supplements are the other treatment options that are likely to benefit you. Oestrogen supplements are generally avoided due to carcinogenic risk. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar