Missing period. HPT negative. Taking primolut n. How long should I continue this medicine?

doc my last period date was on 8th of april,,but still 2dy my periods didnt occur..i hv dne a pregnency test which showed negative...nw i m having primolut N tablets so that my periods can oocur...i alrdy had it for 5 days..for hw many more days i hv to cntinue it???? nd if thn also my periods dnt happen wht shld i do???
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 35 minutes later

If you were having regular 28-30 day cycles previously, if you are sexually active without any contraception, the first thing to be excluded is pregnancy. A home pregnancy test is best done 3-7 days after the missed period with a fresh early morning sample of urine. If a single test shows negative result, it should be repeated after a few days.

Other causes of a delayed period are hormonal disturbances, polycystic ovaries, thyroid disorders, infections, weight disturbances, stress and certain medications.

As you have already taken Primolut tablets for 5 days, you can stop them now and wait for a withdrawal bleeding which usually happens 3-7 days after completion of treatment. If you do not get a withdrawal bleed as mentioned, you should see a gynecologist for an evaluation; a blood test for pregnancy and a trans-vaginal sonogram may be needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.