Missing period. HPT negative. MRI showed delayed ovulation with enlarged follicle. Pregnant?

Hi, I usually have a 30 day menstrual cycle which is never late, my husband and I tried for a baby around when I should have ovulated and I'm two days late for my period now, however the pregnancy test was negative, I also had a MRI last Friday which said I had a 23mm follicle in my right ovary. Does that mean I'm a late ovulater or could I still be pregnant?
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Here are the possibilities:
1. You have delayed ovulation with the enlarged follicle representing a dominant cyst that might release an egg (and thus a delayed period)
2. You have a persistent cyst from your cycle (which are hormonally active) that is leading to a delay in the normal withdrawl bleed
3. You are pregnant and the test is just not positive yet

#3 is still possible if you ovulated later than you expected and conceived later than you thought. The persistent cyst, almost certainly, represents something called the corpus luteum. This cyst will usually maintain the lining (an an early pregnancy). If pregnancy does not occur, the corpus luteum degenerates, progesterone levels fall, and you get a period.

I would recommend waiting until one week after you would have expected your period, and then go in for a blood pregnancy test. If it is negative, then you are not pregnant and this either represents delayed or absent ovulation.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have a followup question.