Missing period. Getting pregnancy symptoms. HPT negative. What should I do now?

Just taken pregnancy test came out negative; one week late and having some pregnancy symptoms. I didn't realize that it's not good to drink a lot of fluids before taking the pregnancy test. Should I go buy another test and try again or wait awhile longer for my period?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
If you are late by one week and are having some symptoms of pregnancy then it is best to repeat the test with a highly sensitive test kit ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test with an early morning sample of urine. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.