Missing period. Getting normal brown period and jelly like discharge. HPT negative. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

I am about 10 days late on my period a few days ago I had some normal brown period discharge. It lasted about three days. Now I have about jelly like discharge. Could I be pregnant? The pregnancy test I took came back negative. I am in a monogomous marriage and have been several years. So i am not worried about stds
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Brown period discharge with missed period may be seen with implantation bleeding in early week pregnancy but vaginal discharges are not reliable indicators of pregnancy.

It may also occur due to hormonal imbalance or old blood/ endometrial tissue mixed with concurrent period. In such cases, it is normal thing and widely found in some women.

Here, you should undergo one blood test for beta HCG & ultrasound scan for lower abdomen to rule out product of conception if any as early pregnancy test may give negative result.

Jelly like discharge may signify vaginal infection or old clotted blood. One vaginal swab test and urine examination (routine & microscopic) are essential to rule out underlying pathogens if pregnancy is excluded.

Possibility of STD is less with only brown vaginal discharge and no other symptoms.

Here, I suggest to consult with gynecologist regarding this for physical examination including pelvic/ speculum exam (may be needed) and suggestive measures according to test reports.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink lots of water, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene properly including proper washing.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen