Missing period. Faint line on pregnancy test kit. Is this positive for pregnancy?

Hello Doctor,

I was married on 16-Dec-2012. My Last Menstraul Period was 19-Dec-2012. I did not get any period on 19-Jan-2013 and later on. Did a Urine Pregnancy Test on 25-Jan-2013 and it showed faint pink color in the test line. Also did another test next day (26-Jan-2013) and it also showed a faint pink color in the test line but was better visible compared to previous day. Is the test result positive?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 22 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to answer your question.

Assuming that you had regular cycles leading up to your last menstrual period, and assuming that 12/19 was the FIRST day of the period:

1. I will assume that you have been sexually active without protection
2. You are late for your period
3. You have done two pregnancies test that sound like they are positive (regardless of whether the line is faint)
4. Based on the dates you gave, you are possibly as far along as 7-8 weeks

This can be fully sorted out in the following way:

1. You need to go in for a blood pregnancy test
2. You need an ultrasound (a fetus with a heart beat can be seen at 6 weeks and beyond)

So in answer to your question, yes it sounds like you are pregnant. The lab and ultrasound will help to sort out exactly how far along you might be.

I hope that this helps. Please ask me if you have additional questions!
Follow-up: Missing period. Faint line on pregnancy test kit. Is this positive for pregnancy? 2 days later

I went for doctor visit yesterday. She did Per-Abdominal Ultrasound. I uploaded the report. Please verify and advise. I was confused "doctor yesterday told that my baby's growth was slow and resembles 6 wk 5 days whereas it should be somemore big in size as you are 8 wk 1 day". Now, the question is Am I "8 wk 1 day" or "6 wk 2 day". She counted from LMP which was 19-Dec-2012. I counted from 5-Jan-2013 which is 14 days before the next due period (i.e. 19-Jan-2013) which is the actual conceive date (right?). Going with my calculation the ultrasound scan which says 6Wk and 5 days is correct right? She also gave me HCG5000 injection yesterday as a preventive measure against miscarriage. She told that 2 more such injections have to be given for another 2 weeks. Are there any side-effects with this injection? Should I consult another doctor? Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 18 minutes later
I don't see documentation of the fetal heart rate - do you know what that was?
Follow-up: Missing period. Faint line on pregnancy test kit. Is this positive for pregnancy? 9 minutes later

Doctor did not inform me about foetal heart rate.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 24 minutes later
Usually a pregnancy is based on the first day of your LMP. So based on a LMP of 12/19, YESTERDAY you were 7 weeks and 5 days. The ultrasound placed you at 6 weeks and 5 days, a difference of 7 day. In cases where there is this amount of difference, you would be given a due date based on the ULTRASOUND, and NOT based on LMP or conception. This would give you a due date of 10/2 . Here is what I think:

1. There is variation in when conception and implantation occurs that is often seen as a discrepancy in LMP dating and the earliest ultrasound.
2. There is "error" in ultrasound at this early gestational age of about 3-5 days
3. Based on a due date of 10/2, conception would have occurred in the ballpark of 1/9 (pretty close to what you assumed)

So to say that the babies growth is "slow" is NOT taking into account these factors. It actually might be a completely normal finding.

Finally, with no prior history of recurrent miscarriage, the HCG injection is completely un-indicated. While it likely is of little harm, I would change doctors for the following reasons:

1. The counseling regarding the dating and health of the pregnancy is not scientific or methodical, nor are they taking into account the factors I described
2. HCG injections prevent miscarriage is not within any standard of care that I am aware.

I hope that this helps and good luck!