Missing period. Experiencing mild cramps, bloating and white discharge. What is causing this?

Mar 2013
I was suppose to start my period yesterday(according to my birth control) but I still haven't started. I have mild cramps, and some bloating, all the normal things I get during this time, but I am also having alot of white discharge. I have been very stressed out, and about two weeks ago I was bleeding for almost a week(I was told it was breakthrough bleeding because my birth control wasn't strong enough) It started as spotting and was a light pink, but then became heavier and XXXXXXX red like a normal period. Could that have been an early period possibly caused by being sexually active for the first time, or could it be a factor of why my period is coming late? I used condoms+plus birth control so I have a strong feeling I'm not pregnant, but I am still worried.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

Well, I can think of the following reasons for the problem you have described :

1. During the first cycle of birth control, it is common to experience such abnormal bleeding patterns. Particularly the breakthrough bleeding described by you, is very common. Try and switchover to an alternative method next month if that is indeed the case.

2 . As you mentioned you were sexually active for the first time, the bleeding also could be because of the rupture of the hymen, which could have persisted as spotting for some time.

3. Another reason, that obviously stands out, is stress. Any kind of stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals etc. These also majorly affect the normal menstrual cycle.

4. Thyroid hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovaries, certain uterine pathologies - all contribute to abnormal cycles.

5. Lastly, any kind of abnormal bleeding always holds a possibility of pregnancy. It seems unlikely, given your dual protection, however, it cannot be ruled out.

Mostly , I think it was an early period due to breakthrough bleeding, however, to relieve your anxiety, and to confirm the diagnosis, please consult a gynecologist for an examination and appropriate tests.

The bloating and cramps could be minor side effects of the birth control, as it is your first cycle.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Missing period. Experiencing mild cramps, bloating and white discharge. What is causing this? 10 minutes later
Thank you very much for all the information! It is very helpful, especially being as I, unfortunately, do not have insurance and going to a doctor is out of my price range. I'm almost finished with my fourth month of birth control, and had my next months birth control switched to a stronger pill. I would have hoped my body was adjusted by now, but it isn't. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Okay, I gathered it was your first cycle of birth control.
Do switch over to a stronger pill, and take care.