Missing period. Experiencing abdominal pain and breast pain. Any possibility of pregnancy?

I am 49 years old and my period is 42 days late. I am experiencing a slight pain in my lower left abdomen and my breast are hurting. Am I just perimenopausal or is there a possibility I may be pregnant? Otherwise, generally I am in good health on no prescribed medications just a little overweight. This is the first time my period has been so late. Usually I am approximately 30 to 32 days apart and on time.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Age wise you are definitely peri-menopausal. But to achieve menopause, its takes upto a year. Initially it starts out as irregular cycles. If you are sexually active then the first step is to rule out pregnancy. Do a urine pregnancy test. If its negative then you can put hormone imbalance as the cause. If no menses after 2 months,then get a blood test done, for LH,FSH. That will indicate whether you are peri menopausal.