Missing bowel movement after ruptured gall bladder surgery. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I had a ruptured gall bladder. I had surgery last Tuesday. I haven't been to the bathroom for five days. I have eat sparsely meals with plenty of liquids. should I be concerned. I can urinate fine.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

The cause of constipation as you pointed out is most likely due to not eating enough during and after the surgery.
With mostly fluid diet ,there is no enough substance ( roughage) to form stool.

However you have to go your doctor who operated on you to check whether you have good bowel sounds and there is no evidence of obstruction.

After making sure he may ask you to increase solid food and prescribe some laxatives for you.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma