Missed taking mercilon. Had unprotected sex. Am I still protected?

I am on the pill, have been for over a year. I am taking Mercilon. However, I just noticed I missed yesterday's pill.
Yesterday's pill was the 11th pill, and just noticed today, when I was supposed to take the 12th pill. So, it has been more than 12 hours, pretty much 24hours, and I had unprotected sex yesterday. What to do? Am I still protected? Should I use extra-protection the next days if I plan on having intercourse?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 21 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for writing to us
As you are taking combined oral contraceptives which are very effective if you take them regularly.You have missed the pill for one day so you have to take two pills next day means today.Taking double dose next day gives good protection but if you forget for two consecutive days then there can be chances of failure.To be extra cautious , you can take a pill of emergency contraceptives within 72 hrs.Taking two hormones together can cause nausea and vomiting so in my opinion just take 2 tablets of the pill which you are already taking and avoid intercourse in the mid cycle.
Best wishes
Follow-up: Missed taking mercilon. Had unprotected sex. Am I still protected? 7 minutes later
Yes, I took today's pill and also took yesterday's pill together.
Does it mean I am protected then? Because I cannot get any emergency contraceptive pills here in my country.

Also, what do you mean with mid-cycle? Do I have to avoid intercourse until next pack of pills, or avoid intercourse for 7 days?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 12 minutes later

Welcome back

If you have taken two pills together that means you are protected.
Mid cycle means ovulatory period which is usually from 11-16 days of the cycle.
As you have missed the pill you can avoid intercourse for 2-3 days to be 100% sure.

Best wishes