Missed taking lutera birth control pills. Missing period. When should I start my new pack?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I have been taking birth control pills for 13 years. I am on Lutera birth control pills. I missed about 4 doses this month when I had the flu. When i realized I missed the pills I doubled up. I should have started my period on Monday the 28th, during my last week of pills (the inactive pills). I did not start my period. I should have started my new pack Last night (Friday the 1st) but could not get to the pharmacy and planned to start them this morning. I started my period this morning. When should I start my new pack? Should I start them now or wait until my period ends.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 9 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you are at the right time to start the new pack.

Ideally, a new pack of birth control pill should be started on the first day of menstruation.

As this is the first day of your period, you should start the new pack now. You do not have to wait until your period ends.

Another point is you should take the pill at bed time, not in morning.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Missed taking lutera birth control pills. Missing period. When should I start my new pack? 55 minutes later
For 13 years i have started my period during the last week of the pills. Does this make a difference?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 12 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, the normal time of starting period is within 7 days after stopping the pills (not the inactive pills). But, some variation may occur. It is quite natural. The main point is whether you have started your period or not. And in your case, you have started your period.

So, this does not make any difference.

Hope you have your answer.

Regards.