Missed taking Lutera pill and started bleeding. Should I take inactive pill after finishing active pill?

Hi, I have been taking Lutera 28 for almost 3months, it went well. but I missed the 10th active pill this month, and took the 10th pill and 11th pill together. I statred bleeding at the 14th day, now I finished all the active pills, but bleeding seems stopped, so I still need to take the rest of inactive pill or do whatelse. And when my next period will come? Thanks
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I would need some more information on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

a. For how long did you have bleeding ?
b. Was the bleeding just like a normal cyclical bleeding .Where there any clots ?Was the bleeding amount normal ?
c. Did you take the active pill till day 21 ?

Since you had bleeding on the 14th day , I doubt it would be cyclical bleeding to plan on starting new pack.Sometimes with hormonal birth control on , there could be inter-menstrual bleeding / spotting as a side effect (which is commonly seen with these drugs) or due to faulty dosage.

I would like to analyze and make sure whether you had cyclical bleeding or bleeding due to hormonal imbalance and advice you on whether or not to start a new pack.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Missed taking Lutera pill and started bleeding. Should I take inactive pill after finishing active pill? 6 hours later
All together, I have been bleeding for 7-8 days, at the first 2-3 days, it was light and then became heavier, the amount was close to but not as much as a normal period and with no cloth, and then decreased gradually until completely stopped yesterday. After the missed pill, I took the rest me active pill and last night, I took the first inactive pill
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later

Thanks for the information.

The bleeding pattern you explained appears as a cyclical bleeding with short duration cycle. This is sometimes expected with hormonal birth control medications.

I suggest you to start a new pack from today .Do take the active pill starting today, though there may be lag of one pill there would be no problem.

If you experience any sort of bleeding in less than 20 days in this cycle, I would then consider it essential for you to consult your Gynecologist to examine you and find out the exact cause.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Missed taking Lutera pill and started bleeding. Should I take inactive pill after finishing active pill? 1 hour later
So if I start a new pack from today and take the 21 active pill every day at the same time, any back-up methode need to be taken to avoid preganancy?

And also in the past bleeding period, I can feel some cramp which seldom happen before, and also more breast tenderness, it can be related to the missed pill?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 hours later
Hi again,

Precautions like usage of barrier contraceptive method like condom during the ovulation period (12th to 16th day of the period) would assure safety even if the pills fail to prevent ovulation.

The symptoms like cramps and breast tenderness you have could be due to hormonal imbalance.There is no need to worry, the above symptoms will soon subside on own without any interventions.

Wish you good health.