Missed periods, feeling depressed and stressed. Took meprate, still no periods. Any advice?

Question
Hi i am 43 years old unmarried women,lately my lifestyle changed immensely,and i went into depression and too much stress....My periods are very regular 26-28 days and 5-6 days of bleeding.My periods are now over due by almost 3 weeks...I took Meprate 10 mg twice a day for 5 days...today is the 7th day since my last dose but still nothing has happened...My BP is on the lower side...it ranges from 90-70 to 80-60 also.After taking medicen my PMS stopped Kindly advise
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for the query

Delayed periods can be due to stress , hormonal imbalance , hypothyroidism or perimenopausal age and the drugs taken for stress.As you are 43 yrs old so it is perimenopausal age as well as you are under stress so both factors can delay the periods.In rare cases there can be pregnancy also so be sure and get all the investigations done like haemoglobin , thyroid profile , an ultrasound etc.Till then just relax.Keep on taking diet XXXXXXX in iron and free from fat as well as salt restricted.Regular walks and exercise help in starting the periods.

Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Missed periods, feeling depressed and stressed. Took meprate, still no periods. Any advice? 22 hours later
Thanks doc....but i took meprate 10 mg twice a day for 5 days but stii today is the 8th day my periods have not started

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 16 hours later
Hello

Welcome once again and sorry for the late reply as there were few emergencies to attend.

Wait for at least 15 days after laving the meprate as sometimes it starts late.
If still no periods then get the investigations done

Do not worry
Best wishes

Follow-up: Missed periods, feeling depressed and stressed. Took meprate, still no periods. Any advice? 15 hours later
Thanks Doc got an a TVS ultra sound done today....everthing is fine but i have polyistic overies bilateral.....and the Uterus is normal...can that be the reason.best regards

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later
Hello

Dear
Welcome once again

PCOD or polycystic ovaries is the commonest cause of delayed periods these days.Diet control , exercises and tablet Metformin helps to resolve them.The drug should be taken under doctor's guidance and prescription.There is nothing to worry about.The periods will start after taking this treatment.

Best wishes once again