Missed periods. Suffer cramps and sore breasts. Had protected sex. Should I worry about pregnancy?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
I have missed my period by a couple of days and I am suffering from cramps and sore breasts but it doesn't look like it's wanting to start. I have had protected sex using a condom every time and have taken 4 negative pregnany tests my last period was on the 19th or March and last cycle was 33 days. should I be worried about being pregnant?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,
There is a little conflict in the dates you mention. Your Last Menstrual Period was probably 19th May and not March.
With 19th May your cycle is 36 days today. It's good to have protected sex each and every time but condoms have a failure rate of 8-25%. This is the first information I wish to give you. As we go on, you will be able to think parallel with me.
The next is that even though Urine Pregnancy Test kits are very sensitive, in a patient with history of delayed periods in the past, the positive result of the pregnancy will also be delayed.
So there is no harm in doing another urine pregnancy test, using a fresh, unexpired kit on the first morning urine sample tomorrow.
If it shows negative for pregnancy, you have 2 options :
1) Wait few days more for the period to come naturally considering that you are having pre-menstrual breast heaviness, cramps etc.
2) Take a 5 day course of Progesterone tablets under the supervision of your gynaecologist. This will cause a withdrawal bleeding to occur within 7 days of the last tablet.
* In case the period comes while you are on these tablets, stop taking the rest of the tablets and consider this as a spontaneous, normal period.
* Taking these tablets and getting the Progesterone Withdrawl Bleeding is used as a test for the diagnosis of Anovulation/PCOS.
* In case you choose the first option, then you must continue to repeat the Urine Pregnancy Test every few days till you get the period and abstain from sexual activity till the situation clarifies.
* Both options are valid and good. It depends upon your anxiety level which option you choose and upon the easy availability of a doctor who is needed for the prescription.
* It would be wise to investigate your delayed periods and check which hormone dysfunction is associated.
* It would also be wise to opt for contraceptive methods with better protection rates. Women with history of delayed periods benefit greatly by use of Oral Contraceptive Pills which not only provide excellent contraception but other benefits as well. Please review with your doctor to rule out any contraindications for their use, however.
I hope this answers your query.
Follow-up: Missed periods. Suffer cramps and sore breasts. Had protected sex. Should I worry about pregnancy? 5 minutes later
thanks for getting back to me, I don't have a history of delayed periods because I have never missed one but this month was different because I ovulated late around the 11th and I know this because I always get a thick discharge and some mild cramps which happens every month and while this was happening I did at the time think oh this is very late on as I was supposed to have the same a week before do u think this changes anything?
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 46 minutes later
Any problem that is to occur has a beginning. So the fact that you had a delayed cycle last month in addition to this month could be the beginning.
Other than that, the plan of action in your case doesn't change.
Keep a watch on your future cycles, recording your dates on a calendar. Just by looking at this record, a preliminary diagnosis of a problem is possible.
Rest of the information and advice is simply a bonus :-) Its good to have scientifically correct information about the body and its workings as well as advice which you may not have asked for but which may be useful for you in future. It may remain deep within you but you can retrieve it whenever you need :-)
All the best.