Missed periods. Pregnancy test negative. Could I be pregnant?

Hi im 4 days late with my period I did both a urine and blood test and both were negative and my urine is dark yellow, could I be pregnant or not? That last day of my last period was 28/9/2012
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you.

Assuming regular cycles, if you are 4 days late and a blood test is NOT positive, then you are not pregnant! The most common explanation for irregular cycles relates to irregularity in terms of when you ovulate. This can be normal, but also related to abnormal things such as thyroid disease. If you don't get your period within the week then you need to discuss this with your doctor and get the appropriate warmup.

I hope this helps. Let me know!
Follow-up: Missed periods. Pregnancy test negative. Could I be pregnant? 21 minutes later
Ok, so what is thyroid disease? Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 hours later
The thyroid gland sits low on your neck and produces thyroid hormone. This substance is important to the function of every organ in your body. Women are more prone to thyroid disease. Alterations in the levels of normal thyroid hormone in the body lead to irregular cycles.

So when women come in to the clinic with irregular cycles, we often check labs related to thyroid activity and hormone levels.

I hope this helps!