Missed periods. Pregnacy test showed negative. Prescribed regestrone and fluoxetine. How to regularize periods?

Mar 2013
hello docotor,i had missed my period for almost 1 month(last had on 4th to 9th july),I have a history of regular period.Pregnacy test showed negative,no abnoraml health condition exists with me.Gynecologist prescribed two time regestrone and one time fluoxetine tablets....can you tell me how they can regularise my period.......does taking antiallegric medicine causes irregularity in mens cycle??...i had eye infection in august to which my optho splst prescribed me cetrine tablets for a week
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXXX
Thanks for trusting us with your health query.
Since you have had a history of regular periods, this is a one off incident.
In most cases, such a condition is due to pregnancy ( normal pregnancy, miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy ) - make sure that a recent pregnancy test has been taken.
The second most common reason is a temporary condition such as emotional stress, anxiety about work or home, hectic travelling, change of climate or altitude, rapid changes in weight, exercise etc.
In your case, another possibility is the intake of fluoxetine, as its long term use can delay the cycles. Also fluoxetine is not in any way used for curing irregular cycles, it is used for treating anxiety, depression , sleeplessness etc.
Temporary hormonal imbalance can cause a delay in cycles, due to hormonal imbalance, the lining of the uterus builds up ( endometrial hyperplasia - thickening of the lining of the uterus ) . For this condition, registrone (progesterone ) is prescribed, which will cause withdrawal bleeding, and cause the lining to shed off, leading to a period.
Please let me know if you had a period in response to the Registrone.
Conditions like hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries are the next frequent cause of skipping a period.
If you had a period after Registrone, then wait and watch for a couple of months.
If the irregularity persists, then consult a Gynecologist for the following evaluation -
1. Thorough XXXXXXX evaluation ( per vaginum and per speculum )
2. Pelvic ultrasound scan
3. Hormonal assay - LH, FSH, TSH, prolactin.
If hormonal imbalance is proved, then regular cyclical hormonal therapy for a few months will regulate your cycles.
Also, to answer your question, Cetrizine taken for a week would not lead to delayed cycles.
Maintain ideal weight ( BMI ) and exercise regularly in moderation.
All the best.
I would be happy to answer any follow up questions.
Follow-up: Missed periods. Pregnacy test showed negative. Prescribed regestrone and fluoxetine. How to regularize periods? 25 minutes later
Dear Doctor

Thank you for the reply.....
To ensure pregnancy urine test kit was taken by my Doc and it was negative.....i am a working woman and being a teacher i had to follow a bit hectic schedule from 8am to 2 pm....i had started working from feb 2013 and only this august 2013 i missed my period.....i could understand why my gynac prescribed me SYSRON (Norenthisterone) tablets (2 times for 7 days) but i didnt understand why she prescribed Fludac (fluoxetine) tablets for 15 other health conditions being perfectly normal and i donot have any complain on weakness,pain,apetitie loss etc
Please guide me do i need to continue with FLUDAC or not
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
As the test was taken by your doctor, pregnancy is ruled out.
I do not see ANY indication for you to continue FLUDAC.
It would be really helpful if you asked your doctor why this was prescribed in the first place.
Also, did you have withdrawal bleeding, after taking Sysron ?
If so, then you can ignore this incident as long as this does not repeat itself.
If it does, a workup along the line suggested earlier would help you.
Follow-up: Missed periods. Pregnacy test showed negative. Prescribed regestrone and fluoxetine. How to regularize periods? 11 hours later
Hello Doctor,
It has been only 3 days i had gone to doctor and started taking SYSRON,i shall be able to tell u after i complete my prescribed medicine for 7 days.

My husband told the doctor during our visit that i was worried and tensed about missing my period for about a month, i think thats why she prescribed FLUDAC...

Rest if still donot get my periods after my prescribed course, i shall definately go as per ur guidelines
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You should complete SYSRON for 7 days and then wait for another 7 days before going for any further testing.
Yes, as I told you, FLUDAC is prescribed for anxiety, but unless it is a major problem do not take medication.
Just relaxing and yoga or other recreational exercises would work for you.
All the best.